domingo, 20 de novembro de 2011

Getting to know Pelotas

Monday and Tuesday were holidays here this week.  I think there has been a holiday each week I've been here so far and of course who could complain about that?  Tuesday was more or less the Brazilian Independence Day, and I took advantage of the time to relax and settle back into my routine after the Gramado trip.  Wednesday, Ana and Diana (a doctoral student from the US who was here for a few days this week) went to Charqueada São João which was from my understanding one of the first settlements of Pelotas (early 1800's) and was a farm in which cured meat was the commodity.  Much like the plantations in the US, these charqueadas were run by slaves.  I found myself wondering how two countries (US and Brazil) could have been settled in similar fashions and yet evolved so differently.  Race/ethnicity doesn't seem to matter here at all; tensions aren't elevated like they are in many places in the US.  I'm curious about how Brazil managed to obtain a more blended population without holding onto an idea of discrimination and segregation...  In general I found the tour of the charqueada interesting but would've definitely gotten more out of it if I could understand the tour guide. Luckily, Diana could translate the important things. 

Later Wednesday evening, Diana, Pedro, and I went to a very good restaurant where the steak was delicious, the pasta was fresh, the bread was hot, and the wine was delightful.  I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the company!  Thursday, Inacio, a PhD student here, showed me around the area where participants in the Pelotas cohort studies are measured.  I was amazed to see the university has  a DXA, a Bod Pod, and other rather advanced equipment for which they can take very precise measurements of their subjects.  Friday evening, Andreia's friend Filipe BBQ'd here at the apartment and a few friends came over to enjoy!  After dinner, Diana, Alan, and I went out, first to the Pub, then to a more authentic Brazilian bar with Brazilian music.  I tried my hand at dancing to the music but think it would be wise to keep my day job for sure. 

Amidst all of this, some bad news has come from home, and I've really wished I could be in two places at once.  Aaron called yesterday to let me know that my dachschund may have slipped a disc in his back and was having trouble using his back legs.  We're not sure what happened, but the vet gave him some anti-inflammatory drugs and steriods to help him.  I'm hoping he gets better without needing surgery but in the meantime, I'm very worried about my lil guy.  In more serious news, my grandma had her valve replaced on Tuesday and was making excellent progress.  I talked to her on Skype everyday and she was doing so well that the doctors sent her home Friday.  I found out today that late yesterday afternoon, she had a stroke on the left side of her brain and is now in a hospital in Dallas.  I'm not sure what the prognosis is at this point, but I'm really hoping and praying that she will pull through this difficult time.  I've always looked up to Grandma as a strong, graceful, beautiful woman, and now more than ever, I hope her body can draw on that strength.  Please send prayers for my family. 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário