segunda-feira, 28 de novembro de 2011

Day to Day

Last week was more or less uneventful.  I'm settling into work here and am finding a rhythm in regards to my job which has been predominantly research up to this point.  My heart was in the United States last week thinking about my grandma and my injured Winston as well as wishing I could participate in the Thanksgiving festivities.  Aaron has promised me a Thanksgiving dinner in April when I return and I'm definitely looking forward to that. 


Currently, the onset of culture shock may be really beginning to take place, and I'm really fighting the natural reactions of homesickness and loneliness.  I remember feeling culture shock and missing family and friends when I was in Spain, but as I've realized the last couple of days, this experience may be even more challenging as I have no other American/foreign companions to share thoughts and feelings with about this.  Besides obviously missing those closest to me, I miss my routine.  I miss my car.  I miss being able to do things independently such as shopping, banking, making travel arrangements, etc etc etc.  This past Wednesday marked a month from my arrival here in Pelotas and I am growing weary of asking others for help (as this is not my strong suit).  For now, I will attempt to embrace these emotions and remind myself that many things that I am resisting in this new culture and many of the things that I fret over will smooth themselves out with time.  Perhaps this time next month, I will have grown much more comfortable with my present surroundings. 


Well enough with the boo-hoooing.  In other news, Aaron was approved to visit for Christmas and booked his tickets to come down!  As I can't have him coming all the way to Brazil only to see Pelotas, I am planning a weekend getaway in Torres RS when he arrives and am excited for our adventure.  Merry Christmas in Brazil this year!


Saturday, I went to a outdoor market much like our flea markets in the US.  And it may come as no surprise, but China has invaded Brazil as well with knock-off handbags and cheap merchandise.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed walking around and seeing what there was to see. 


I am also scheduled to begin meeting with some collegues here to exchange Portuguese and English lessons with each other.  I am very much looking forward to this and can't wait to get a better handle on the language here. 


Um comentário:

  1. I can relate to so much of missing things back home...Try to have as much as fun as you can..You always have the people waiting for you when you come back.. :) yasas

    ResponderExcluir